Online Teaching Academy represents a certified professional development programme that will provide participants with the theoretical and practical tools required to design an effective online or blended learning experience based
Online Teaching Academy represents a certified professional development programme that will provide participants with the theoretical and practical tools required to design an effective online or blended learning experience based on sound learning-design principles, best practices and trends.
This programme is delivered by leading experts in the field who will help you not just to overcome a crisis but to provide high quality online learning!
Participants will understand the value and opportunities of an online environment and learn how to become effective online instructors. This represents a significant opportunity for early-stage online faculty or those interested in orientating themselves in the online learning space who are looking to keep up with the rapidly evolving market and explore current trends and innovations.
REGISTER FOR FREE for the explanatory info-session on 30 September at 18:00 CEST (duration: 1 hour). This session will give you a clear picture of what to expect from the programme (programme structure, content etc.) and the facilitators will answer all the questions you might have to be able to decide whether to take part in the programme.
- Faculty and early-career researchers with no or little experience in online learning or teaching interested in finding out more and exploring new techniques and trends beyond videoconferencing.
- Learning design professionals with a basic knowledge of online learning design who are interested in understanding the wider landscape of teaching online at a higher education institution and updating and increasing their level of understanding.
Participants that complete all mandatory parts of the course will be declared EFMD Certified Online Facilitators.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Articulate the advantages of online education to support student’s academic and professional development
- Compare and contrast different models of online and blended learning
- Identify the key challenges in online and blended learning and discuss strategies for potential solutions as well as identify tools that can be used to face these challenges
- Reflect on how to use learning analytics to gather insights into learner behaviour
- Learn about the different resources that are at disposal when designing and delivering an online course
- Design a blended or an online learning experience based on sound learning-design principles, best practices and trends
- Create rich and holistic interactive experiences to engage students and enhance learning
- Apply different methods and tools to support online learners like: videoconferences and case discussions, videos, different types of assessments, discussion boards, feedback, different types of interaction, learning analytics, etc.
- Develop and maintain a dynamic online community and support peer-to-peer interactions
- Design formative and summative assessments, using a range of technology and tools suitable for online learning
- Design and deliver effective synchronous and asynchronous learning sessions
Structure of the learning journey:
Effort required: equivalent to a five-day face-to-face programme spread over 5 weeks.
The learning experience is highly flexible, interactive and practical throughout concluding with an applied project drawing on the learning across the course.
Dedication: 8 hours per week including self-paced materials, individual assignments, group work and live interactive sessions with faculty.
2 live sessions per week, each of them 90 minutes long
Schedule of live sessions:
Tuesdays at 18:00 CEST / 5 PM GMT
Thursdays at 18:00 CEST / 5 PM GMT
The programme will have 5 modules:
• Module 1 – Introduction: Why teach online? Am I ready?
• Module 2 – Online teaching challenges
• Module 3 – An introduction to online course design
• Module 4 – Reconceptualising your course for online delivery
• Module 5 – Learning analytics and final presentations
• 25% Participation in online activities, live sessions and forum discussions
• 70% Group assignment
• 5% Peer review feedback
WEEK #1 (27 October - 2 November 2021) – Introduction: Why teach online? Am I ready?
- Platform discovery
- Meet and greet
- Introduction to online teaching
- The online teaching market for business education
- Online teaching formats (from MOOCs, SPOCs, to blended learning)
- The benefits of online teaching
- Challenges in designing a blended programme
- From Remote Teaching to high-quality online teaching
WEEK #2 (3 - 9 November 2021) – Online teaching challenges
- The challenges of online teaching and learning
- Online facilitation: The professor’s role, the materials, the infrastructure and the learning systems
- The support needed from your institution
- Teaching case studies online
- Panel discussion
WEEK #3 (10 - 16 November 2021) – An introduction to online course design
- A review of teaching practices
- Reimagining education for digital audiences
- How do students learn? (Guiding principles)
- The Imperial approach: OSCAR
- Creating effective learning sequences
- Designing a high-touch experience: Live sessions, forums and feedback
- The role of videos and multimedia resources
WEEK #4 (17 - 23 November 2021) – Reconceptualising your course for online delivery
- The task: Introducing the group assignment
- Tips, tools and techniques for success
- How to promote active learning and maximise engagement
- Group assignment
- Group coaching sessions
WEEK #5 (24 - 30 November 2021) – Assessing student learning
- Designing virtual assessments
- Evaluating success: The role of learning analytics
- Preparing final pitches
- Group presentations
Early Bird offer for registrations until 6 October 2021 (included):
EFMD Member: EUR 1.700
Non-Member: EUR 1.950
As of 7 October 2021:
EFMD Member: EUR 1.900
Non-Member: EUR 2.200
! Special Discounts for multiple registrations from the same institution:
10% for the second participant
20% for the third and fourth participant (the number of participants from one institution should not exceed 4)
Cancellations must be confirmed in writing before 15 October 2021. A cancellation fee of EUR 100.00 will be charged if made before 15 October 2021.
After the given dates, we are unable to refund any fees. However, in such cases, substitutes are welcome at no extra cost as long as we receive notification of the name, title and address of the substitute.
Angela Moreno Valero
Senior Learning Designer, Edtech Lab, Imperial College Business School
Director of IE Publishing & Executive Education Online, IE Business School
Associate Director, Edtech Lab, Imperial College Business School
October 27 (Wednesday) 09:00 - November 30 (Tuesday) 20:00
online event (no physical location)